Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Greetings from snowy Ohio. This is a blog about embracing the history around you and embracing your own history. Many people who live in an old house have questions about the history of their home and especially about what the proverbial 'they' were thinking when 'they' did something to the house that has no apparent explanation.

My husband and I live in a circa 1883 Folk Victorian house that we purchased in
1998. I was delighted to find out that our house was built for a run-away wife- quite the rebel for 1883. Myra Thomas was married to a widower who was 29-years her senior. Apparently, Myra was not happily married because she left her husband and built our house. In 1887, her husband was granted a divorce from her on the grounds of her "willful absence for three years." The subsequent owners were also interesting.

It is also rewarding to know who your ancestors are. I am of Sicilian and Slovak decent. I have yet to dig too deep into my own history, but have gotten to know many people that I have researched for others. I would be happy to hear other's stories.

In this blog, I will share information on houses and people that I have researched. The majority of these people resided in northern Ohio. I hope you enjoy the stories I have to tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment